incubation support and resources
bwtech@UMBC is committed to helping early-stage cybersecurity, bioscience, clean energy and other technology companies succeed in commercializing their technologies and thrive in an increasingly competitive marketplace. The incubation support services we provide range from a phenomenal entrepreneur-in-residence (EiR) and mentors network … to extensive and relevant training, workshop and networking opportunities … to access to robust resources at UMBC including students, faculty and core facilities.
training, workshops & networking
We host a variety of workshops and networking events for our tenants and affiliates that provide the support, guidance and training growing businesses need. We strive for a close-knit community that enhances networking and partnership opportunities.
bwtech@UMBC’s Signature Events have brought hundreds of business professionals and local companies together over the years. We’re always looking to help companies expand their networks and gain more knowledge in their fields.
- Our Cyber Innovation Briefings are focused on topics that are most relevant to entrepreneurs in the cyber world today. Typically held 2-3 times per year, these breakfast events are open to the broader cyber community and bring in exceptional thought-leaders to create a practical and stimulating discussion forum.
- Our CyberTini’s have had a major impact on the cyber community over the last few years. These happy hour events are typically held as a kick-off event for the Cyber Maryland Conference and the RSA Conference in San Francisco every year, as well as locally at bwtech@UMBC. Cyber Entrepreneurs use this opportunity to network with other cyber executives and to gain support for their growing businesses, over cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
We hold our E2E (Expert-to-Entrepreneur) Speaker Series events monthly, bringing our companies together to learn more about general business topics from experienced subject matter experts. Our speakers are business professionals who take the time to present to our companies on topics in their field and that are relevant to entrepreneurs in today’s business environment.
Past topics include:
- attracting the right website visitors
- making your business bankable
- readiness for investment
- branding and public relations
- competitive intelligence
- strategic selling
- patent laws and IP
- problem solving and time management
We hold frequent business roundtables and workshops in order to give our companies easy access to our partnered professional service providers and our mentors and friends of bwtech. These events focus on a relevant topics for start-ups and emerging companies and are designed for entrepreneurs looking to gain general business support or other industry specific information. With these connections, our companies are able to get advice and support on topics related to accounting, human resources, banking, investing, insurance, etc. Other training topics have included public speaking, go-to-market strategies, government contracting, pitch practice sessions etc.
Our bwtech entrepreneurs can gain a lot by engaging and interacting with the other entrepreneurs within the incubators and research park, thus we love having Happy Hours to encourage our entrepreneurs to meet, network and discuss their latest business ventures – in an informal setting over a beer, wine and some appetizers! Some examples of past happy hours include:
- Naked Lightning Talk & Happy Hour is a special happy hour event that we host in both our Cyber and Life Sciences Incubators. At these happy hours, our companies are given the opportunity to practice their company pitch before an audience of potential investors, peers and members of bwtech’s advisory boards. Each person is given 3 minutes to pitch “naked” – meaning no slides (but yes, with clothes on!). Training is provided to each participant prior to the pitch event so that entrepreneurs learn the best way to tell their company’s “story.”
- bwtech’s Life Science Incubator joined up with BioBuzz of Baltimore to sponsor and host a BioBuzz Networking Event. Throughout the year, BioBuzz hosts FREE events at various locations designed for like-minded professionals and students to gather and network, reconnect with past coworkers, build stronger relationships and share conversations in a welcoming atmosphere.