University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) has been repeatedly named by U.S. News & World Report as a national leader for innovative programs and for focus on undergraduate teaching
From the start, bwtech@UMBC has benefited from UMBC’s wide range of top-notch resources including students, faculty, core facilities and other amenities. The research park and the university are next door neighbors, and they share a passion for innovation.
Gain access to a deep pool of student talent
- 75% of incubator and emerged companies have hired UMBC students as interns and over 100 UMBC graduates are working at bwtech@UMBC companies.
- UMBC’s success at preparing STEM students is nationally recognized with more than half of UMBC’s undergraduate students majoring in a STEM field.
- UMBC’s diverse students are highly accomplished, with a mean SAT score of over 1200.
- UMBC has more than 2,500 graduate students and is the largest producer of IT grads in Maryland. Contact UMBC Career Center for student recruitment.
Gain access to outstanding faculty ready to collaborate
- Current bwtech@UMBC companies have engaged in over 100 formal research collaborations with talented faculty and students.
- UMBC faculty have generated 19 projects and formed eight start-ups supported by the Maryland Innovation Initiative – and those numbers are climbing.
- UMBC faculty routinely win research awards from NIH, NSF, NASA, DARPA, DOD, the Office of Naval Research and NIST, bringing in more than $75 million annually.
- UMBC is among top 20 universities nationwide in NASA funding.
Gain access to core facilities to extend capacity
Gain access to campus amenities and services that make life easier
Restaurants and eateries
- Au Bon Pain
- True Grit’s dining hall
- Subway and 700 South Deli & Café (on-site at bwtech North)
- Glenmore Café (on-site at bwtech South)
- and more
- Well-equipped athletic complex with fitness classes
- Outdoor Olympic-size pool and outdoor track
- Athletic and cultural events, including plays, concerts, films, lectures and exhibits
- Assistive technology
- Computing and software
- Digital media lab
undergrad & graduate
with STEM majors